Davenport should get past Pierce
Updated: May 30, 2005, 2:43 PM ETBy Pam Shriver | Special to ESPN.com
- PARIS What a draw Lindsay Davenport has now after surprising people with an upset of Kim Clijsters in the fourth round. I said Davenport's draw would be tough early and get easier as she went on. Now she's being rewarded for gutting out those difficult first matches. Quarterfinal picks
Lindsay Davenport (1), United States, vs. Mary Pierce (21), France
Mary Pierce also is just surprising everyone here. Davenport keeps digging herself out of trouble. Four straight three-set matches, bless her. Taking care of Clijsters was a huge mental hurdle for Davenport. She's sometimes given grief for her lack of grit and attitude on the court, but you've got to give her tons of credit for winning this week.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE TENNIS HEADLINES
- No. 4 seed Berdych tumbles at Indian Wells
- Radwanska wins easily at BNP Paribas Open
- Retired player Baltacha, 30, fighting liver cancer
- Murray says back feeling better after surgery
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com