A world apart
In South Africa soccer isn't all about the World Cup
Updated: June 20, 2010, 10:34 AM ET
- Mathias Braschler & Monika Fischer"Beaufort West is a little town of about 40,000 people about halfway between Johanesburg and Cape Town. It's really a rough place. We were told there was a lot of violence there, domestic and otherwise. Soccer seemed like a positive force because it gets the girls out of their homes. These girls were in a school league and they were playing during a school break."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE SPORTS HEADLINES
- Ribery, Benzema charged with soliciting minor
- Ex-U.S. coach denies Solo's shoving allegation
- Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta UEFA award finalists
- Kompany: Van Persie would boost any team
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com