Behind the Bets: Looking to the Preakness
Giacomo's story is an apt comparison for Mine That Bird.
Updated: May 7, 2009, 12:22 PM ETBy Chad Millman | ESPN The Magazine
- Nobody knows nothin'. What else can you say when a 50-1 shot wins the Derby (technically Mine That Bird was a 50.6-1 shot, according to horse racing genius Joe Drape at The New York Times). Not a single expert considered any horse outside of the top contenders -- I Want Revenge before he was pulled, Dunkirk, Pioneerof the Nile and Friesan Fire -- as anything other than gate-fillers, like no-name actors taking a seat when Leo and Denzel need a bathroom break at the Oscars.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Santa Anita Handicap boasts strong field of eight
- 'Still recovering' Bond Holder out of TB Derby
- Mucho Macho Man works between races Sunday
- Samraat gets by rival for 50 Ky. Derby points
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com