ESPN The Magazine: A darker shade of White
Updated: July 20, 2006, 6:42 PM ETBy Tim Keown | ESPN The Magazine
- On a wet-hot Friday in late June, Louisville is the epicenter of giveaway culture. The Dew Action Sports Tour -- a spectacle of motorcycles and skateboards and trick bikes -- is being held inside and outside Freedom Hall. But the main draw, clearly, is free stuff. They're lining up for packets of acne medication, soda served in specimen cups, posters, decals, snacks, mini Slim Jims. Thousands stalk the grounds, stuffing plastic bags with the fervid zeal of hungry orphans set loose at Halloween.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com