Top 10 projected defensemen
Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo among league's best blueliners
- Andre Ringuette/Getty ImagesErik Karlsson sits atop the list as Hockey Prospectus' top defenseman for 2013.
Every season, we use the cold, dispassionate eye of the VUKOTA projection system to predict who will be the league's top defensemen. Even with the retirement of the legendary Nicklas Lidstrom, a Swede still finished on top.
Here are the top 10 projected defensemen for the 2013 NHL season, along with their predicted goals versus threshold mark (GVT, our player value metric, explained here) for the 48-game campaign:
1. Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators: 9.5 GVT
It was an interesting offseason for Karlsson, having signed a seven-year extension with the Senators the day before winning the Norris Trophy as the league's top defenseman -- the third-youngest winner ever, and the second Swede. After getting married later in the summer, Karlsson left to tear up the Finnish league, where he was recently suspended for sliding his stick at an official.
To read the full story about the top defensemen for the 2013 season, plus Insider's complete NHL coverage, sign up for ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley collapses, game postponed
- Crosby fuels early flurry as Pens clip Caps
- Kings corral Flames to extend streak to 8
- Avs take fifth in 6 on Duchene's goal in OT
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- G-III Women's Boston Bruins Distressed Logo Capped Sleeve Black T-Shirt
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs