Solutions for Caps' scoring slump
A few fixes to spark the scuffling Washington offense
- Marianne Helm/Getty ImagesAlex Ovechkin and his teammates have struggled to earn scoring chances since starting 7-0.
In hockey, things fall apart. Sometimes that happens in the form of a losing skid. Sometimes it's the loss of an invaluable player. Sometimes, it happens all at once.
That's where the Washington Capitals find themselves this season. They started 7-0 and were justifying their claim as a Stanley Cup contender. But just about everything has gone wrong for them since, culminating in Dale Hunter replacing bench boss Bruce Boudreau, the fastest coach in NHL history to win 200 games.
With a new coach comes the need for patience, but how did the Washington Capitals find themselves in this hole, going from one of the Stanley Cup favorites to a team on the outside looking in? And how do you fix it?
To read about how the Caps can straighten out their scoring, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Sutter sends Pens past Ducks in shootout
- Luongo shuts out Sabres in return to Florida
- Franzen's 2 goals highlight Wings' barrage
- Rangers use late rally to outstrip Hurricanes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Washington Capitals Red Succeed Quarter-Zip Jersey Fleece Pullover
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs