For Darnell Nurse, NHL scouts were easier to impress than his ex-NFL uncle
- Claus Andersen/Getty ImagesDarnell Nurse has been trying to get his Uncle Donovan on the ice for years.
IF IT WERE up to Donovan McNabb, his nephew Darnell Nurse would be playing football. But it wasn't his call. "It was his parents' decision," says the six-time Eagles Pro Bowler. Nurse's dad, Richard, was a receiver for the CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Mindful of what years of hits had done to his body, the elder Nurse reasoned that hockey would be gentler on his son's knees.
So Darnell, who grew up near Toronto, took to the ice with gusto and proved to be such a natural that at age 13 he joined his uncle's grueling offseason workouts with other pros. Question was, did he have the necessary grit? We're talking 40-yard sprints up a hill in 100-degree Arizona heat. "It was a test," Nurse says. "I couldn't quit or let them show me up."
To read more about Nurse, join ESPN Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Jackets D Murray (knee) to miss 4-6 weeks
- Miller helps Blues cool off surging Avalanche
- Newcomer Hemsky has 4 assists in Sens' win
- Moore seeks resolution 10 years after attack
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Soft-Touch Men's Philadelphia Flyers Vincent Lecavalier #40 Player Replica Orange T-Shirt
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs