Rookie Rankings: Conacher on top
Lightning forward retains No. 1 spot; Mikael Granlund falls to No. 10
The 2013 NHL Calder Trophy race continues to be a hotly debated topic in the NHL, but statistically speaking, the top rookie of the year candidates have finally slowed down. Out of the gates, forwards such as Tampa Bay's Cory Conacher and St. Louis' Vladimir Tarasenko took the league by storm, but even they have slowed (in terms of scoring), as opposing teams are increasingly paying attention to this season's top rookies.
Here's the Calder Trophy race update as of Tuesday, Feb. 12, based on my own viewing of their performances, as well as my talking with contacts within the game.
1. Cory Conacher, forward, Tampa Bay Lightning
Previous rank: No. 1
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Family: Howe recovering after serious stroke
- Rangers' Moore suspended 5 games for hit
- Bruins' Krug (broken finger) out 2-3 weeks
- Canes activate E. Staal from injured reserve