Player Ranks: Sharks show bite
Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton top first Hockey Prospectus rankings of 2013
Editor's note: These rankings are based on player production in terms of Hockey Prospectus' GVT valuation metric. If you are unfamiliar with GVT and how it works, you can find more here.
Every Monday until the end of the season, Prospectus will provide updated Player Power Rankings for the top 10 skaters and top five goalies in the NHL based on HP's proprietary value metric, GVT, a statistic that combines player contributions in all aspects of the game, including defense and the shootout.
In the first player rankings of the regular season, a pair of Sharks have been lighting the lamp with regularity, while Martin Brodeur continues to show no signs of his age. Meanwhile, a rookie is making a very visible early impression for the St. Louis Blues.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Canes captain Staal has core muscle surgery
- Wild re-sign winger Fontaine to 2-year deal
- Frolik remains with Jets, agrees to 1-year deal
- Tatar agrees to 3-year deal with Red Wings
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- CCM Men's Montreal Canadiens Knit Rib Crew Long Sleeve Blue Shirt