Stats show Shea Weber is NHL's top D
Nashville Predators blueliner is elite by almost any measure
- Joe Sargent/NHLI/Getty ImagesBased on advanced stats, Shea Weber certainly seems to be the NHL's best blueliner.
On Wednesday afternoon, an arbitrator awarded Shea Weber a $7.5 million, one-year contract. That cap hit -- calculated as the player's average yearly salary -- is $1 million more than that of any other restricted free agent in the league and the highest of any NHL blueliner.
Putting that in context, essentially, the judge is telling the world that Weber is the single best defenseman in the league. That of course begs the question: Is he? The short answer: He's worth every penny.
To see why Shea Weber is worth every penny of his new, arbitration-decided salary, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- GMs to discuss OT, video review in meetings
- Rangers' Lundqvist wins 300th, blanks Wings
- Kings cruise past Oilers for 7th straight win
- B's tame Panthers, season-best streak at 5
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Youth Nashville Predators Custom Hockey Navy Hoodie
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs