Will Ovechkin score 70 goals?
The Capitals star is on a historic pace, but sustaining it won't be easy
Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin scored his 20th goal of the season in the third period against Toronto on Saturday, becoming the first player in the league to reach the 20-goal plateau. That gives the "Great Eight" 20 goals in 22 games, putting him on a 73-goal pace over 80 games (he missed two games due to injury earlier this season).
Will Ovechkin be the next to make history? Here's a look at why he will, why he won't and our overall projection.
To read the rest of Neil Greenberg's article about whether Alex Ovechkin can sustain his current goal-scoring pace and net 70-plus goals, sign up to become an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars 'keep rolling,' outlast NHL-best Blues
- Stars' Peverley undergoing tests on heart
- Fleury blanks Capitals as Penguins sweep
- NHL GMs to recommend changes for faceoffs
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE NHL ON ESPN INSIDER
2013-14 NHL INSIDER CONTENT
- Levelwear Men's Washington Capitals Alex Ovechkin #8 FX Highlight Reel White T-Shirt