Will Ovechkin score 70 goals?
The Capitals star is on a historic pace, but sustaining it won't be easy
- G Fiume/Getty ImagesAlex Ovechkin has tallied 20 goals in just 22 games this season for the Capitals.
Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin scored his 20th goal of the season in the third period against Toronto on Saturday, becoming the first player in the league to reach the 20-goal plateau. That gives the "Great Eight" 20 goals in 22 games, putting him on a 73-goal pace over 80 games (he missed two games due to injury earlier this season).
Will Ovechkin be the next to make history? Here's a look at why he will, why he won't and our overall projection.
To read the rest of Neil Greenberg's article about whether Alex Ovechkin can sustain his current goal-scoring pace and net 70-plus goals, sign up to become an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Sutter sends Pens past Ducks in shootout
- Luongo shuts out Sabres in return to Florida
- Franzen's 2 goals highlight Wings' barrage
- Rangers use late rally to outstrip Hurricanes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE NHL ON ESPN INSIDER
2013-14 NHL INSIDER CONTENT
- Reebok Men's Washington Capitals Alex Ovechkin #8 Home Red Premier Jersey
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs