Analyzing first-round goalie matchups
Even against the mighty Caps, don't sleep on Jaroslav Halak and the Habs
While goals-against average (GAA), wins and even shutouts are reflections of team defense as well as goaltending ability, save percentage is the conventional stat that best isolates a goaltender's individual skill and impact upon a game. Simply put: A good team defense decreases the number of shots on goal against (SOGA), but it's then up to the goaltender to stop as many of those shots as possible.
So which NHL goaltender stands the best chance of making an impact on the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs? And which big name is bound to falter?
Very detailed info after the jump here -- including breaking down all eight first-round matchups from the goalie side of things. To get into it, though, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Vanek helping authorities in federal probe
- Leafs hire analytics guru Dubas as asst. GM
- Stars agree to four-year deal with Roussel
- Ducks bring back Vatanen on 2-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2010 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS
- Reebok Soft-Touch Men's Boston Bruins Dennis Seidenberg #44 Player Replica Black T-Shirt