Rising rookies for second half
They started quietly, but these players could impact the season now
- AP Photo/Ed ZurgaMarcus Cooper is already off to a good start, but Mel Kiper thinks he could get even better.
I've been putting out my Rookie Rankings every two weeks through the first half of the season, and last week I highlighted a total of 35 first-year players. But many rookies who are going to go on to great careers still haven't seen a lot of action. There are a number of reasons guys come on slowly, such as a depth chart issue, a change of position or just the fact that most coaches hate to put too much responsibility on a first-year player.
But you tend to see a lot of guys getting run in the second half. At this point -- and counting the preseason -- these rookies have been exposed to about the same number of games as they'd see in an entire college season, so it's not surprising that some come into their own at this time or later. Secondly, injuries on every roster are starting to pile up, and that provides the opportunity. A couple rules for my list:
• I tried to take no players who have cracked the top 15 of the Rookie Rankings.
• Many haven't been full-time starters, or even close.
• I'm picking on both sides of the ball.
With that in mind, here are my key names to watch.
To read the rest of Kiper's impact rookies for the second half of the NFL season, sign up for Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Jags, ex-Seahawk Bryant reach 4-year deal
- Buccaneers release veteran guard Joseph
- Doctors clear WR Nicks for '14, source says
- Reports: Saints to release Sproles if no trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE NFL ON ESPN.COM
Todd McShay's new mock has the Texans taking a QB at No. 1, but it's not Johnny Manziel.
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- NFL Nation
- Free-Agent Tracker