Next-best under-25 players
These young stars were in the mix but missed the cut for Kiper's top 25
- AP Photo/Colin E. BraleyChiefs linebacker Justin Houston shook off the "tweener" label with 10 sacks last season.
Now that Mel has put together a first NFL 25 under-25 rankings that will enrage many, let me pacify some of you by letting you know who was right in the mix, or at least should have been. Once again, however, remember the rules:
1. All players must be under age 25 as of Week 1 of the 2013 season.
So a player such as A.J. Green, who would rank high here, is not on the list because he turns 25 between now and Week 1.
2. Players are ranked based on overall talent, total production AND the likelihood of future production.
It's necessary to include assumed future production, because that's how teams value players. You are more valuable if you are likely to be a very good player in 2013, not just because you were fantastic in 2012. Contracts are given for production expected, not past production.
3. Positional value is a big factor.
Blair Walsh is a great young kicker. He did not make the list. The position you play matters here just as it does when teams and players negotiate deals.
4. Health matters.
Staying healthy really is a performance evaluation in the NFL. Because future production is a factor, health must be, too.
With the rules in place and without any chance of a misinterpretation, ahem, here are the next 10.
1. Justin Houston, OLB, Kansas City (24 years old)
To read more about the players who just missed Mel Kiper's 25 Under 25 rankings, plus to gain access to all of Insider's NFL content, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Manziel inks endorsement contract with Nike
- Report: Sharper admitted sex not consensual
- Peterson lobbies for Vikings to sign QB Vick
- Bears say thanks, tell Hester he won't return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE NFL ON ESPN.COM
Despite Jadeveon Clowney's insane numbers, doubts remain about what can't be measured.
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- NFL Nation
- Free-Agent Tracker