The NFL's clutchest QB
How is there really a debate that Tim Tebow is more "clutch" than Aaron Rodgers?
A debate recently broke out in these parts about who you'd rather have at quarterback when your team is down or tied late, with just one drive to decide a football game -- Tim Tebow or Aaron Rodgers? Tebow had shepherded yet another game-winning drive in an overtime win against San Diego, the fourth time he's led a game-winning drive in the fourth quarter or overtime in his first nine starts, one short of the all-time NFL record for that span. And while it seems like sacrilege to not lay all offerings at the Rodgers altar, on the concept of clutch, Tebow backers could at least piece together a case:
• Tebow's fourth game-winning drive in his ninth start looks almost inspired next to Rodgers' five total game-winners in 58 starts. Check the list. Rodgers has been brilliant, but he's no comeback king.
• Relying on his legs might make Tebow a gimmick by critics' standards, but they serve him well late, when defenses are tired. His running performance in the fourth quarter is better than it is in the previous three quarters.
• Tebow improves as a passer during games -- perhaps as he grows more comfortable, or because defenses get tired as he extends plays, or as he and his receivers get on the same page. It can take awhile with so few throws; he still averages barely more than 20 a game.
Even the most ardent Tebow-jersey collector would never claim, though, that Denver's No. 15 is a better quarterback in almost any sense than Rodgers. But is Tebow really more clutch, and does he have some gift for it? If he isn't, who is the most regularly clutch quarterback in the league? (And how do we even measure it?)
To read the full article about the top clutch QBs, and whether Tim Tebow is more clutch than Aaron Rodgers, sign up for ESPN Insider.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Cards, CB Peterson agree to record $70M deal
- Sources: Gordon faults secondhand smoke
- Police: Cards' Abraham passed out at wheel
- Ryan on Jets' big boasts: 'It's who we are'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 13 PREVIEW
WEEK 13 PICKS
HOT READ: Devin Hester
HOT BUTTON: Top offensive rookie?
JOHN CLAYTON/ADAM SCHEFTER
MNF: Chargers at Jaguars, 8:30 ET
- Tim Tebow: On A Mission DVD