Offseason Blueprint: Browns
Cleveland's projected lineup, cap situation, free-agent and draft targets
KC Joyner, Todd McShay, Field Yates | ESPN Insider
Links to every team:
With the 2014 NFL scouting combine in the rearview mirror and free agency about to begin, Insider's experts have produced an Offseason Blueprint for all 32 NFL teams. Included are each team's front-office priorities, projected 2014 lineups, draft and free-agency targets, cap situation and much more.
This is the Offseason Blueprint for the Cleveland Browns.
What management's to-do list should include this offseason
1. Establishing a sense of consistency and community in the front office should be the first order of business for Cleveland. Getting on the same page with the new coaching staff and understanding that everyone must work together like fingers in a glove is of vital importance.
2. The Browns need to sort out their QB situation. What do they want the QB profile to be? Who best fits that profile among those already on the roster? What can they get for Brandon Weeden in a trade before cutting him? He has already said he doesn't want to be there, and given the kind of cultural adjustment needed in that organization, I would take the hit and make that happen. Drafting a QB should be a given, it's just a matter of making the best selection.
3. Keeping Alex Mack around for a while should be a priority, and painless. He is crucial to Cleveland staying strong in the middle. They have the best cap situation in the league, and there is no excuse not to make this happen. They gave him the transition tag on Monday. Finding a value option at running back via free agency and the draft, and one that fits what new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has had success with in the past should be the next priority, as should be finding an outside receiver threat opposite Josh Gordon.
To read Insider's full article on the Browns' offseason priorities, projected 2014 lineup and cap situation, free-agent and draft targets and more, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- 49ers release McDonald amid investigation
- On-mend Murray with Cowboys for player drills
- Bears' Conte: NFL career worth early death
- Vick has paid down nearly all of $18M debt