Whispers from around the NFL
• Word from New England is that while Tedy Bruschi has been a regular presence at the Pats' training facility, working out daily, there are no plans for the team to utilize him in a coaching capacity this season.
• League higher-ups in attendance at the Niners' camp in the aftermath of OG Thomas Herrion's tragic death told PFW sources they couldn't have been more impressed with the classy, dignified and heartfelt manner in which rookie head coach Mike Nolan conducted himself throughout an emotional ordeal, one which could linger well into the season.
• The CB competition between Drayton Florence and Sammy Davis for the job opposite Quentin Jammer in San Diego never materialized, as Florence clearly outplayed the former first-round pick in camp. As of this writing, Davis was in a battle with the surprising Jamar Fletcher for the team's nickel CB job.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Judge rejects Hernandez trial venue change
- Cowboys hopeful as Romo doesn't practice
- Good dawgs: Browns vie for collar charms
- Jay Gruden: 'Every intent' of starting RG III