Horton: NFC West offseason needs
Breaking down the top six areas to address for every squad
Amid the NFL labor situation, with no free agency yet, one thing is certain: There will be an NFL draft starting Thursday. With that come mock drafts (from Mel Kiper and Todd McShay) and team needs that must be met. Gary Horton examines the top six needs for every team in the NFL. Here is the file for the NFC West.
1. Quarterback: John Skelton might have some developmental qualities, but he is not ready to be the quarterback on a team with the worst QB situation in the NFL. If the coaches think Skelton could develop into a franchise quarterback, they could go with a quick free-agency fix, but this team might need to start over behind center.
2. Outside linebacker: Veterans Joey Porter and Clark Haggans are old and struggle to stop the run, and their much-needed edge pass rush in this 3-4 defense has been nearly invisible. O'Brien Schofield has a chance to step in, but this defense might need two new OLB starters in 2011.
3. Guard: Veteran Alan Faneca may retire and Deuce Lutui could explore the free-agent market. There is marginal depth here and the inside pocket collapses far too often. This is a bad unit and the Cardinals have drafted only one offensive lineman in the first four rounds in the Ken Whisenhunt era.
4. Offensive tackle: LT Levi Brown really struggles against edge rushers (but he could possibly move inside) and RT Jeremy Bridges is a mediocre answer, along with Brandon Keith. That means the Cardinals have three below-average bookends, which is less than ideal when trying to protect an inexperienced QB.
To read more about the top six needs for every NFC West team, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Suh hopes bad-guy perception will change
- Woodson: Pack should shut Rodgers down
- Peyton insists he's same player in cold
- Source: Martin, investigator to meet again
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
SCOUTS INC. ON ESPN INSIDER
Scouts Inc. examines the philosophies and team needs of every NFL franchise before the NFL draft.
April 19: AFC East
April 20: AFC West
April 21: AFC North
April 22: AFC South
April 23: NFC South
April 24: NFC West
April 25: NFC East
April 26: NFC North