Horton: NFC South offseason needs
Breaking down the top six areas to address for every squad
Amid the NFL labor situation, with no free agency yet, one thing is certain: There will be an NFL draft starting Thursday. With that come mock drafts (from Mel Kiper and Todd McShay) and team needs that must be met. Gary Horton examines the top six needs for every team in the NFL. Here is the file for the NFC South.
1. Defensive end: The Falcons got a career year out of aging veteran John Abraham in 2010, but they need help on the other side and an infusion of youth. Former first-round pick Jamaal Anderson has not been a sack producer, and there aren't a lot of promising young guys on the horizon.
2. Outside linebacker: They do not get enough production from this position even though their 2010 top pick, Sean Weatherspoon, has a chance to be special if he can stay healthy. In this 4-3 defense, the OLB needs to be a versatile athlete with pass-rushing skills but also the ability to drop into coverage.
3. Wide receiver: Roddy White is a great No. 1 receiver, but where is the quality No. 2 guy who takes some coverage away from him? Michael Jenkins has been in that role for several seasons, but he doesn't stretch the field and he doesn't make enough dynamic plays. This pass offense had only nine plays of 30-plus yards in 2010.
4. Tight end: Tony Gonzalez is a free agent who probably wants to play only one more year but is unlikely to leave Atlanta. Still, he is near the end of a Hall of Fame career. Backups Justin Peelle and Michael Palmer are decent role players, but Matt Ryan needs a versatile guy he can count on when Gonzalez retires.
To read more about the top six needs for every NFC South team, you must be an ESPN Insider.
SCOUTS INC. ON ESPN INSIDER
Scouts Inc. examines the philosophies and team needs of every NFL franchise before the NFL draft.
April 19: AFC East
April 20: AFC West
April 21: AFC North
April 22: AFC South
April 23: NFC South
April 24: NFC West
April 25: NFC East
April 26: NFC North
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Nike Men's Home Game Jersey Atlanta Falcons Roddy White #84