Horton: AFC South offseason needs
Breaking down the top six areas to address for every squad
Amid the NFL labor situation, with no free agency yet, one thing is certain: There will be an NFL draft starting Thursday. With that come mock drafts (from Mel Kiper and Todd McShay) and team needs that must be met. Gary Horton examines the top six needs for every team in the NFL. Here is the file for the AFC South.
1. Safety: This is the worst pass defense in the NFL, and good offenses take advantage of the middle of the field. Veteran safety Eugene Wilson was cut, and Bernard Pollard doesn't make enough plays.
2. Cornerback: The Texans have two young corners, Glover Quin and Kareem Jackson, who both gained valuable experience last year, but they also give up too many big plays. Jackson must play with more consistency, and Quin is probably better suited to play in a nickel role if they can find a new starter.
3. Outside linebacker: This will be a 3-4 defense under Wade Phillips, and that will require pass-rushing outside linebackers. Connor Barwin is the Texans' only player who fits that description, although the coaches think Brian Cushing can make the adjustment. They probably need a second guy to add depth to this unit.
4. Nose tackle: Amobi Okoye, Shaun Cody and Earl Mitchell are all candidates, but they are 4-3 defensive tackles trying to learn a new position in the revamped Houston 3-4 front. What Phillips would really like is a huge two-gap space-eater in the middle of this defense.
To read more about the top six needs for every AFC South team, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Panthers officially cut ties with receiver Smith
- Report: Pats' Wilfork asks team for release
- Eagles acquire Sproles for 5th-round pick
- Bengals release veteran linebacker Harrison
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
SCOUTS INC. ON ESPN INSIDER
Scouts Inc. examines the philosophies and team needs of every NFL franchise before the NFL draft.
April 19: AFC East
April 20: AFC West
April 21: AFC North
April 22: AFC South
April 23: NFC South
April 24: NFC West
April 25: NFC East
April 26: NFC North
- Northwest Tennessee Titans Team-Colored Burst Sherpa Throw