Horton: AFC West offseason needs
Breaking down the top six areas to address for every squad
Amid the NFL labor situation, with no free agency yet, one thing is certain: There will be an NFL draft starting Thursday. With that come mock drafts (from Mel Kiper and Todd McShay) and team needs that must be met. Gary Horton examines the top six needs for every team in the NFL. Here is the file for the AFC West.
1. Defensive end/tackle: With John Fox as the new head coach, this defense will likely switch back to a 4-3 after a failed experiment in the 3-4 scheme. They have personnel more suited for the 4-3 front, including former first-round pick Robert Ayers, but this defense needs a pass-rusher. They had just 23 sacks in 2010, and only three of those were produced by the starting defensive line.
2. Cornerback: Champ Bailey has been great, but he is entering his 13th season, Andre' Goodman always seems to be fighting injuries and Perrish Cox has legal problems. This secondary makes very few big plays and only had 10 interceptions in 2010. This unit desperately needs a good man cover corner. But again, a better pass rush would also help.
3. Safety: Offenses attack this team in the deep middle of the field because veteran Brian Dawkins can't cover enough ground anymore. Renaldo Hill lacks range and doesn't make a lot of plays and Darcel McBath always seems to be injured. They need a great athlete who can not only defend the pass, but also tackle in space.
4. Inside linebacker: When Elvis Dumervil went down with an injury in 2010, the Broncos' best inside linebacker, Mario Haggan, was forced to play outside. However, he will be solid when he can stay inside. The other ILB spot has Joe Mays and Wesley Woodyard, both guys who are decent but could be upgraded.
To read more about the top six needs for every AFC West team, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- DE Freeney, Chargers agree to contract
- Source: Gronkowski may need back surgery
- Jets' Goodson arrested for drugs, weapons
- Mario Williams' ex alleges suicide-talk texts
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
SCOUTS INC. ON ESPN INSIDER
Scouts Inc. examines the philosophies and team needs of every NFL franchise before the NFL draft.
April 19: AFC East
April 20: AFC West
April 21: AFC North
April 22: AFC South
April 23: NFC South
April 24: NFC West
April 25: NFC East
April 26: NFC North