12 things: Week 1 surprises
From a Lions upset (you heard right) to how teams should handle fourth-and-1
I'd be surprised if ...
1. The first big upset of the season doesn't take place inside Soldier Field on Sunday. I mean, if the preseason and Forbes magazine are any indication, then the Bears and Lions are two teams heading in very different directions.
Sure the Lions were 2-30 the last two seasons. Go ahead and laugh. I'll wait. That actually helps them Sunday, since it has been ingrained for so long in NFC North teams to take the Motor City Kitties lightly. But this is an improved team. The Lions have solidified their defensive line with Corey Williams, Kyle Vanden Bosch and Ndamukong Suh, and I wouldn't trade wideout Calvin Johnson and rookie back Jahvid Best for four, no, five, of the Bears' top players on offense. Yes, Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford is raw -- he threw 20 picks as a rookie last season.
To find out the other 11 things that would surprise Fleming in Week 1, including his nicknames for Tim Tebow's Wilcat offense in Denver, you must be an Insider.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- ABC: Hernandez rental car to be searched
- Source: Revis paid $50K to get 24 with Bucs
- Arians: Fans biggest obstacle for gay player
- Jennings, Giants' Pro Bowl punter, dies at 61