FBO: Backup QB salary-cap analysis
The Eagles and Colts dedicate lots of money to quarterbacks and still win often
This summer we've seen lucrative quarterback deals for Matt Cassel, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers; all of these contracts have an average per year value in excess of $10.5 million. Clearly, this demonstrates the emphasis front offices place on the quarterback position; however -- and not so surprisingly -- there is a significant disparity in contract value between a team's No. 1 and No. 2 quarterbacks. The median 2009 cap number for starting quarterbacks is $9.23 million, while the median for backups is $1.93 million.
In Indianapolis, Peyton Manning accounts for 16.5 percent of his club's 2009 salary cap, with a whopping cap number of $21.2 million. Conversely, backup QB Jim Sorgi accounts for 1 percent of the Colts' cap, with a cap number of $1.31 million. Combined, Manning and Sorgi account for 17.5 percent of Indianapolis' salary cap, or the highest combined amount allocated to any NFL team's top two quarterbacks.
For a deeper look at how teams handle the salary cap, including a look at the most expensive backup in the NFL and some great cap management in a surprising place, you must be an ESPN Insider.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Redskins' Cousins to start in place of RG III
- Urlacher: Bears should stick with McCown
- Bucs' Goldson says rep as dirty 'ridiculous'
- MJD hopes to be back with Jags next season
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS ON ESPN INSIDER
With the Super Bowl in the books, Football Outsiders starts looking ahead to 2010 and the biggest issues every NFL team will be facing.February 10: Plugging the Holes - AFC West February 11: Plugging the Holes - NFC West February 12: Plugging the Holes - AFC North February 15: Plugging the Holes - NFC North February 16: Plugging the Holes - AFC East February 17: Plugging the Holes - NFC East February 18: Plugging the Holes - AFC South February 19: Plugging the Holes - NFC South