No hiding now
Michael Turner erased a lifetime of doubt last season. Now comes the hard part.
This story appears in the Aug. 24 issue of ESPN The Magazine.
You can hear the laugh across Lake Lanier.
"I've always thought I was good," says Michael Turner, sitting on the bow of his 20-foot Ranger a week before training camp. As he gazes at Georgia's largest lake between casting fishing lines, the Falcons running back unleashes a cackle that sounds not unlike an old pickup truck trying to turn over in the dead of winter. It's Turner's preferred punctuation, which friends and family chalk up to his jovial nature. But like most people who finish their thoughts with laughter, Turner often chuckles to mask something. Something like self-doubt.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- NFL on Gordon: Culpable for what's in body
- Cowboys sign OT Smith to $110M contract
- GM Thompson signs extension with Packers
- Steelers' Brown rips Sanders' QB comments
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Atlanta Falcons Classic NFL Football Portfolio