Decade's 25 most underrated players
Originally Published: June 26, 2009By Aaron Schatz | Football Outsiders
Most overrated | Most underrated
Football Outsiders analyzes the 25 most underrated players of the current decade, going back to 2000. Some of these comments will mention our advanced statistics, including DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average) -- which takes every play during the season and compares it to the league average based on situation and opponent -- and DYAR (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement) -- which uses a similar method to measure a player's total value compared to a "replacement-level" player. These and other advanced stats are explained here.
1. Derrick Mason: Mason has seven different seasons with at least 1,000 receiving yards and ranks seventh overall in total wide receiver DYAR for the decade. He ranked among the top 20 wide receivers in DYAR (total value) for five straight years in Tennessee, then did it again last year in Baltimore. He also ranked among the top four wide receivers in DVOA (value per play) three times in four years (2000, 2001 and 2003), and he has put up an above average catch rate every single year this decade, including two years over 70 percent. Yet somehow, he's only made two Pro Bowls.
2. Matt Lepsis: Lepsis anchored the fabulous Denver offensive line for five years at starting right tackle, starting left tackle for another four, but never made a Pro Bowl. Honestly, that's a little mind blowing.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- RG III: Goal Week 1 but career comes first
- Cards ink 3rd-round pick Mathieu to contract
- Rodgers wants Pack to retire Favre's No. 4
- Pats' Brady not surprised Welker left team
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS ON ESPN INSIDER
With the Super Bowl in the books, Football Outsiders starts looking ahead to 2010 and the biggest issues every NFL team will be facing.February 10: Plugging the Holes - AFC West February 11: Plugging the Holes - NFC West February 12: Plugging the Holes - AFC North February 15: Plugging the Holes - NFC North February 16: Plugging the Holes - AFC East February 17: Plugging the Holes - NFC East February 18: Plugging the Holes - AFC South February 19: Plugging the Holes - NFC South