Rams, Packers and Vikes just outside the top 10
Adding kicker Josh Brown in St. Louis will help the Rams rebound from a dismal season.
12. Green Bay Packers To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
The Rams had a tough year in 2007, but their special teams were very solid. Dangerous punt and kick returner Dante Hall showed he has the quickness and instincts to be an impact player for St. Louis. The Rams were one of the best in the return game, but their coverage units were very inconsistent. The special-teams units were tested often because the Rams ranked 24th in offense and 21st in defense. The bright spots on the Rams' coverage teams were LB Quinton Culberson, RB Travis Minor and FB Richard Owens. P Donnie Jones has outstanding leg strength but needs to be more consistent at pinning opponents inside the 20-yard line. Brown was acquired in the offseason to replace Jeff Wilkins. He should do well in St. Louis.
The Packers made marked improvement in 2007 led by rookie PK Mason Crosby and P Jon Ryan, who played in the CFL. Both players showed poise under pressure and should get better in 2008. Green Bay fields a group of returners who were effective at changing field position, including CBs Charles Woodson, Will Blackmon and Tramon Williams. All three athletes have great instincts and quickness to hit a crease and get upfield. The Packers' coverage units were some of the best in the league, anchored by LB Tracy White, DE Jason Hunter, SS Charlie Peprah and FB Korey Hall.
12. Green Bay Packers
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Brady limits hype: Still 'far' from Super Bowl
- Cowboys rally from 11 down to stop Giants
- Wilfork: Raiola cut block 'boneheaded play'
- Source: Texans' Mallett played with hurt pec
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Depth is one of the keys to success in the NFL. Scouts Inc. looks at the starters and the backups at every position and ranks each unit based on its potential production.
• Nos. 1-10: No shock at the top
• Nos. 11-32: Look who's in trouble
• Nos. 1-10: Chargers best, but others closing fast
• Nos. 11-32: Raiders up? Bears down? Really?
• Nos. 1-10: Pats lead the way, others closing fast
• Nos. 11-32: Super Bowl champs best of the rest
• Nos. 1-10: Gates and Chargers on top
• Nos. 11-32: Texans, Jags have youth, talent
• Nos. 1-10: Thomas leads resurgent Browns
• Nos. 11-32: Physical Jags on edge of top 10
• Nos. 1-10: Adding Allen makes Vikes No. 1
• Nos. 11-32: Eagles just miss top 10
• Nos. 1-10: Ware and Thomas make Dallas No. 1
• Nos. 11-32: Falcons on the brink of top 10
• Nos. 1-10: Jones puts Dallas over the top
• Nos. 11-32: Buccaneers are just outside top 10
• Nos. 1-10: Bears, Hester run away with No. 1
• Nos. 11-32: Rams and Vikes just out of top 10