Whispers from around the NFL
Pro Football Weekly is hearing that Dolphins coach Nick Saban might have interest in free-agent WR Charles Rogers.
• We hear that Miami could have interest in free-agent WR Charles Rogers, who would fit the low-cost, high-risk profile of other Dolphins acquisitions during Nick Saban's tenure. Saban is familiar with the second overall pick of the 2003 draft, having recruited him to play at Michigan State.
• After Jets rookie Brad Smith played wide receiver throughout training camp and through most of the preseason, he was inserted into the final preseason game at quarterback and produced two scoring drives. We hear his performance proved to the coaches that he could run the team effectively if called upon, and he has the Jets plotting ways to use Smith, now listed as the fourth quarterback on the depth chart, as a situational QB at times this season.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Patriots escape Jets to pick up 1st-round bye
- Falcons eliminate Saints, stay in South hunt
- Rodgers, Pack rebound to clinch playoff spot
- Manziel (hamstring) exits game vs. Panthers