No end in sight to Branch holdout
The Patriots need Deion Branch, but it doesn't appear the WR will be in their lineup anytime soon, writes Len Pasquarelli.
Don't expect the league's other holdout involving a wide receiver to be so readily resolved.
Even with Friday afternoon's announcement that the Patriots have granted Deion Branch permission through Sept. 1 at 4 p.m. to speak to other teams about a trade, and to negotiate a contract, there are no guarantees of movement in a mess that has very quietly grown increasingly contentious. The move by the Pats on Friday means Branch can reach a contract accord with another franchise. But step two is that New England has to come to terms with another team on compensation.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Chancellor deemed 'good' after walk-through
- Goodell: Pursuing Deflategate aggressively
- Hundreds lose out on tickets to Super Bowl
- Goodell: NFL to rule on Lynch fine after SB
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Is This Closest Matchup Ever?
- Game breakdown