Falcons need the insurance Schaub provides
The Falcons think highly of Matt Schaub, but their reluctance to trade him might have more to do with concerns over Michael Vick, writes Len Pasquarelli.
But it says something, too, about the Falcons' concerns over Michael Vick, and we're not just talking about from a physical standpoint.
Certainly, the Falcons know that Vick has never played an entire 16-game season and that his reckless style and derring-do mind-set might preclude him from doing so. Owner Arthur Blank and president Rich McKay don't want to be caught short again at the quarterback spot, as they were when they were forced to use Doug Johnson as the starter in 2003, when Vick broke his ankle in a preseason game.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Lions' Raiola suspended 1 game for stomp
- Manziel ruled out; Browns add rookie Shaw
- Jets' Smith: Coaching change 'could be good'
- Bears to start Cutler as Clausen concussed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2006 Free Agency
Scouts Inc. gets an early jump on free agency with a position-by-position look at the top potential 2006 free agents (offense, defense and special teams) and team-by-team needs:
• Breakdown of 2006 free agents
• AFC East | NFC East
• AFC South | NFC South
• AFC North | NFC North
• AFC West | NFC West
• Offensive free agents
• Defensive free agents
• Special teams free agents
- Nike Boys' Home Game Jersey Philadelphia Eagles Michael Vick #7