Young still can't shake all doubters
As great as Vince Young was in the Rose Bowl, some NFL personnel men still aren't completely sold, writes Chris Mortensen.
As much as it was a dream game for fans, it was a dream game for NFL personnel men.
And after checking in with a few of them who carry some pretty impressive credentials, you may be surprised that a great performance by Texas quarterback Vince Young does not necessarily leave NFL teams drooling over his eventual arrival into the NFL. The same goes for USC quarterback Matt Leinart.
• "I'd still take Leinart over Young as an NFL quarterback, but Leinart is not a franchise guy in the traditional sense. He's not John Elway, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer. Now, really, there aren't a lot of those guys anyway. Alex Smith sure wasn't. When [Texas] blanketed the USC receivers, especially early in the game, you got a glimpse of what the NFL is like. The windows are a lot tighter. Leinart struggled with those. But give the USC coaches credit -- they adjusted and managed to put up, what, over 500 yards against a pretty talented Texas defense?"
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Source: Pats fear Gronkowski has torn ACL
- Peterson rips Ravens fans, refs following loss
- Pats beat Browns with TD after onside kick
- Flacco, Ravens stun Vikings with wild finish