Summer Audits: AFC North
Taking stock of situations in Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh
- Getty ImagesDarren Sproles outracing Fabian Washington down the field is one sign of trouble with the Ravens' secondary.
The draft is obviously the focal point of the NFL offseason for me, but it certainly doesn't end there. The picks are only half of the equation. How they fit is where the draft is really made. And part of that has to factor in the personnel that teams have added around them.
So with the draft clearly in mind, let's do a quick summer audit on the situations of the teams in the AFC North. So far I've done the AFC West, NFC West, AFC South and NFC South. (You can find all the pieces together in one place by going here.) What I'll do is hit three things:
1. A crucial influx, such as an impact player or position group.
2. A question mark that still lingers.
3. If the team had a chance to pick anyone from the 2011 draft class right now to address a hole, who it would be. (Whether a team has an early pick in next year's draft isn't the issue -- it's just a hypothetical involving top college talent and current needs.)
So call it a checkup and a look-ahead wrapped together -- part deep projection, part current need.
If you want to read Kiper's take on all four AFC North squads, you must be an ESPN Insider. (Take heart, Steeler Nation.)
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Source: Pack ink Shields to 4-year, $39M deal
- Jags, ex-Seahawk Bryant reach 4-year deal
- Cowboys' Romo says he's on pace for OTAs
- Sources: Mendenhall, 26, retiring from NFL
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Kiper's Look Toward 2011
Mel is always going to be looking at the draft first, but he's also taking a close look at how teams have tweaked their personnel heading into camp. Who could be a help, who won't be and what players in the next draft would be nice to have around right now.
Kiper's Offseason Audits
Looking Back at the Draft
- Pittsburgh Steelers Terrible Towel Blanket
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- NFL Nation
- Free-Agent Tracker