Bengals' defense may prove suspect
A close look at Cincinnati's defensive numbers reveals that Carson Palmer may need to win shootouts in the playoffs.
However, Cincinnati's defense has been porous in recent games. The unit has allowed 29 or more points in four of the last six contests. Three of these have come against Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Buffalo, teams that don't have high-powered offenses. The Bengals have even allowed 17 and 20 points to the anemic Lions and Browns, respectively, in this period.
Can this defense keep Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson from having to win every playoff game in a shoot-out? I did a metric analysis of all 15 games from this season to find out, and the answers aren't encouraging.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Steve Smith reaches 3-year deal with Ravens
- Colts strike deal with former Giants WR Nicks
- Pats reach deal with suspended CB Browner
- Spikes agrees to contract terms with Buffalo
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Home Game Jersey Cincinnati Bengals Jermaine Gresham #84