Top TE prospects for 2015
Funchess, O'Leary among tight ends to watch this season
Soon after the 2014 NFL draft concluded, I released my too-early Big Board for the 2015 NFL draft, a ranking that includes players who will be underclassmen during the 2014 college football season. It goes without saying that these rankings are preliminary, as I have hundreds of hours of evaluation ahead on the 2015 class.
A couple of important notes about the rankings below:
• This isn't a straight "top 10" list, because I've split these between seniors and underclassmen. I think it's important to rank seniors alone, as those are the only players I can guarantee will be a part of the 2015 NFL draft process.
• In some instances, I've included more than 10 players; if two or three guys are extremely close on my board, I simply tacked on the names.
With those parameters in mind, here's an early look at the top tight end prospects for 2015.
Top five senior tight ends
1. Nick O'Leary, Florida State Seminoles: Solid but unspectacular, O'Leary has good hands but lacks an elite catch radius and flexibility and won't be considered a matchup problem. He's also a strong kid but not the kind of blocker who can hold up a decent pass-rusher. Old-school, versatile player who could be useful in an H-back role.
To read Mel Kiper's full list of the top tight end prospects for the 2015 NFL draft, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Watt, Graham highlight memorable Pro Bowl
- Sources: Gordon fails another test, faces ban
- Sherman: Goodell won't punish Kraft's Pats
- Brady expects 'Deflategate' talk after season