Top 2014 NFL draft sleepers
A look at a number of non-FBS players who could get the call
MORE DRAFT CONTENT FROM MEL KIPER
When I originally put a "sleepers" list in the print versions of my NFL draft guide many years ago, the term meant something different. For me, these were kids you'd have a tough time seeing on TV. And that sentiment holds true many years later. While it's not hard to get the film nowadays, for the average fan, these are guys they've never seen.
I wanted to maintain that concept with this list, even though "sleepers" seems to apply to many things.
A couple of notes on this list:
1. To qualify for this, you must not have played at an FBS (Division I) school in 2013.
2. I've broken it down into two categories, based on likelihood to be drafted.
With that, here are the 2014 NFL draft sleepers.
These are guys likely to get drafted, some as high as Round 2.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Garoppolo go early in Round 2, and if you can go early in Round 2, that certainly opens up the possibility that you could go late in Round 1. Once Derek Carr and Teddy Bridgewater are drafted, Garoppolo could be the next name called. Mathews has good size and pretty good arm strength, and will get picked as a late-round project to develop.
To read more about Mel Kiper's small-school sleepers in this year's draft, and for all of Insider's 2014 NFL draft coverage, you must be an Insider.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Chancellor deemed 'good' after walk-through
- Goodell: Pursuing Deflategate aggressively
- Hundreds lose out on tickets to Super Bowl
- Goodell: NFL to rule on Lynch fine after SB
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
'14 NFL DRAFT ON ESPN.COM
- Is This Closest Matchup Ever?
- Game breakdown