First look at 2012 WR prospects
- When evaluating wide receivers, it is important to consider all aspects of their games -- separation skills, ball skills, big-play ability and competitiveness/toughness. Here's how we rank the top wide receivers on our initial 2012 draft board by skill set (draft-eligible underclassmen denoted with an asterisk), as well as a look at all receivers with a draftable grade, market trends at the position and 2011 Day 1 wide receiver picks.[+] EnlargeChuck Cook/US PresswireSeparation skills and big-play ability are hallmarks of Justin Blackmon's game.
The challenge when evaluating a receiver's separation skills is sifting through variables such as his supporting cast, the offensive system he plays in, and the types of defensive coverage and the level of competition he faces. While there's no exact formula, some of the key ingredients in separating from defenders include recognition, initial burst, change-of-direction skills and competitiveness.
To see which seniors and underclassmen are tops in each skill area, as well as Scouts Inc.'s ranking of all eligible wide receiver prospects with a draftable grade, become an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Retiring Mendenhall: Tired of life in NFL
- Lions owner Ford dies at 88 of pneumonia
- Cromartie released by Jets, tweets thanks
- Source: Vikings sign Griffen to $42.5M deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM