2010 speed scores: Rise of Ben Tate
The Auburn back could be a more promising value than C.J. Spiller
- Getty ImagesBen Tate, formerly of Auburn, topped all speed scores for 2010.
Football Outsiders has been using the "speed score" as a metric since 1999; here's an explanation relative to the 2008 NFL draft and here are the 2009 results. What follows regards the 2010 NFL scouting combine.
The difference between a 40-yard dash time of 4.37 seconds and 4.43 seconds is 60 milliseconds -- just about half the time it takes the human eye to blink. To most people, it's imperceptible.
Because of a historically effective metric suggesting that Tate might end up the better pro back.
To continue reading an analysis of Tate vs. Spiller, and perhaps more importantly to see the full 2010 speed scores chart, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Reports: Saints to release Sproles if no trade
- Judge says Sharper can't be held indefinitely
- Source: Vikings to re-sign Cassel for 2 years
- Saints release veteran receiver Moore
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2010 NFL SCOUTING COMBINE
- All Conference Men's Auburn Tigers Orange BCS Championship Bound Destiny Long Sleeve T-Shirt