Mixed bag for wideouts on Day 1
Scouts Inc. has all the buzz from Day 1 of Senior Bowl practices, including the no-shows, who struggled and who impressed.
Updated: January 20, 2009, 3:25 PM ETBy Todd McShay | Scouts Inc.
- MOBILE, Ala. -- The first day of practice at the 2009 Under Armour Senior Bowl was notable for a few reasons, including the absence of a pair of big-name prospects. Georgia Tech DE Michael Johnson was a late scratch, and there are mixed opinions about the reason he is not in Mobile. Some are saying he's letting a minor but lingering shoulder injury rest. Others theorize he simply isn't motivated to deal with what tends to be a mentally and physically grueling week for NFL draft prospects. Either way, Johnson's no-show is being frowned upon by NFL decision-makers. Johnson has the skills of a top-10 player, but he has frequently performed like a middle-round pick. Some have questioned his commitment to the game, so scouts should be planting red flags firmly next to his name. Michigan State RB Javon Ringer was a late scratch as well. And while there is no official word as to why Ringer will not participate, he is missing out on an opportunity to prove himself as a receiver out of the backfield and on special teams.
North team buzz• It's especially tough to evaluate linemen in a first-day practice in shorts and shoulder pads, but Boston College DT B.J. Raji is the clear front-runner to emerge as the top lineman from either side of the ball. Raji showed excellent lateral mobility and initial quickness during one-on-one pass rush drills today. • California's Alex Mack and Oregon's Max Unger are Scouts Inc.'s top two center prospects and are playing next to each other this week. Mack lines up at left guard when Unger lines up under center and vice versa; both fared well at guard on Day 1. Showing that kind of versatility can only help their draft stock, but like Raji they will also give a more accurate read when they are in full pads.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Reports: Saints to release Sproles if no trade
- Judge says Sharper can't be held indefinitely
- Source: Vikings to re-sign Cassel for 2 years
- Saints release veteran receiver Moore
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2009 SENIOR BOWLThe top college seniors gather every January in Mobile, Ala., to prove themselves in front of NFL scouts, coaches and teams at the Senior Bowl. Follow their progress as ESPN.com provides complete coverage of the road to the 2009 NFL draft.
• Offensive position rankings
• Senior Bowl stock report
• Day 4 practice buzz
• Day 3 South buzz
• Day 3 North buzz
• Day 2 South buzz
• Day 2 North buzz
• Day 1 practice buzz
• Weigh-In buzz
• Storylines from 2009 Senior Bowl
• Cal Poly WR Ramses Barden
• Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell
• USC LB Rey Maualuga
• Ole Miss OT Michael Oher
• West Virginia QB/WR Pat White
• North Team
• South Team
Complete 2009 NFL draft coverage
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com