What to make of Smith and Crabtree?
The NFL combine provided plenty of answers, but some questions are still unresolved
More from McShay
Todd McShay breaks down all the action from the NFL combine and names his biggest winners and losers, as well as the players who left some questions unanswered in Indianapolis. To see this and more, become an ESPN Insider.
2. Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree -- Crabtree needs to take control of the situation surrounding the stress fracture in his left foot. Sure, NFL scouts would like an official 40-yard-dash time on him, but they'd rather Crabtree get surgery on the foot and get a jump on rehabbing the injury.
3. Pittsburgh RB LeSean McCoy -- His decision to skip the combine workouts was a wise one, considering McCoy lost approximately eight pounds during a recent battle with the flu. McCoy now has three weeks to get healthy and prepare for a pressure-packed pro day workout March 17, one that could decide whether he is a first-round pick.
4. Missouri WR Jeremy Maclin -- Scouts were impressed when Maclin ignored a trainer's advice and returned to combine drills after suffering a hyper-extended knee during drills. However, Maclin's time of 4.43 in the 40 was good but not the exceptional time that was expected. Plus, it's never a positive when teams are looking at MRI results a couple of months before the draft.
5. USC ILB Rey Maualuga -- Maualuga endured a double-whammy on his first 40-yard dash attempt at the combine. In addition to suffering a hamstring injury that has an unknown status, the 249-pound inside linebacker ran a marginal time of 4.89 seconds. Scouts can't tell for sure whether the injury played a role in the result. In order to avoid a slip in his stock, Maualuga must recover enough to improve on that time and impress scouts during position-specific workouts, ideally during USC's April 1 pro day workouts.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Crabtree has surgery for torn Achillies
- Urlacher retiring from NFL after 13 seasons
- Jets' Smith picks Jay-Z's agency to rep him
- Giants open OTAs minus WRs Cruz, Nicks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2009 NFL SCOUTING COMBINE
The top prospects have been invited to Indianapolis for the annual NFL scouting combine. Follow their progress and see whose stock rises and falls as Scouts Inc. provides coverage on the road to the NFL draft April 25-26. Draft Central»