2008 midround tackles hoping to follow Tauscher's example
Scouts Inc.'s Steve Muench takes a look at four midround offensive tackle prospects looking to find the right fit in the NFL.
Originally Published: April 1, 2008By Steve Muench | Scouts Inc.
- There's an excellent chance that five offensive tackles will come off the board in the first round this year, and Virginia's Branden Albert is a first-round guard prospect who could also play tackle in the NFL. It's easy to see why the top of the offensive tackle class is receiving so much attention this year. However, the supply still isn't expected to satisfy the heavy demand. Teams that aren't lucky enough to land one of the top five or have more pressing needs to address early on will be looking to find players in the middle and late rounds who can contribute in their scheme. Players like Green Bay's Mark Tauscher.Tauscher walked on at Wisconsin and didn't become a full-time starter until his senior season. He simply didn't have the résumé of better-known 2000 prospects like collegiate teammate Chris McIntosh or Hawaii's Adrian Klemm. Why, it's still clear today that he doesn't have prototypical power for a right tackle and lacks elite initial quickness. But back then, McIntosh went in the first round, Klemm went in the second and Tauscher went in the seventh round. Tauscher has had a more successful career than the other two, however. So what did scouts miss that year? Tauscher is a hard worker who made steady progress at the collegiate level, and that progression continued in the NFL. He was simply a late-bloomer who developed into a quality starter by learning to mask his weaknesses with technique and tenacity. Of course, playing in front of Brett Favre for the bulk of his career also helped, because Favre's quick feet and quick release made it tougher for edge rushers to close in on him.[+] EnlargeTodd Rosenberg-US PRESSWIRESeventh-rounder Mark Tauscher has used solid technique to become a quality NFL starter.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Manziel inks endorsement contract with Nike
- Report: Sharper admitted sex not consensual
- Peterson lobbies for Vikings to sign QB Vick
- Bears say thanks, tell Hester he won't return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com