OLB Gholston, TE Keller tops among pro day performances so far
Several big-name draft prospects already have taken part in pro day workouts on their respective campuses, but none have been as impressive as Ohio State's Vernon Gholston and Purdue's Dustin Keller.
Originally Published: March 11, 2008By Todd McShay | Scouts Inc.
- Ohio State DE/OLB Vernon Gholston continued his assault on the pre-draft process during the Buckeyes' pro day workout Friday in Columbus, Ohio. The 6-foot-3, 266-pounder blazed a 40-yard dash time of 4.59 seconds and soared 42 inches in the vertical jump, both slightly better than his impressive numbers (4.67, 35.5) at last month's combine. Now that Gholston has twice verified in workouts the explosiveness scouts have seen on film for the past two seasons -- during which he had 22.5 sacks -- there should be no question about his standing as a top-10 prospect in this year's draft class. With the Jets, Patriots and Ravens -- all of whom employ 3-4 defensive schemes -- selecting sixth, seventh and eighth, respectively, it's hard to imagine Gholston still being available when the Bengals select at No. 9.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Source: Pack ink Shields to 4-year, $39M deal
- Jags, ex-Seahawk Bryant reach 4-year deal
- Cowboys' Romo says he's on pace for OTAs
- Sources: Mendenhall, 26, retiring from NFL
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com