Vikings, Saints working overtime
Several teams did a good job of finding talented prospects after the conclusion of the draft, writes Todd McShay.
1. Charles Gordon, DC/RS, Kansas -- Minnesota Vikings
Gordon should simply be considered an "athlete", rather than labeled as a receiver or cornerback. He seemed far more comfortable at the wide receiver position in college, but might have more upside at cornerback in the NFL. Regardless, it was his marginal 40-yard dash times that kept him from being drafted. If the Vikings give him the proper coaching and time to develop, Gordon could emerge as a good sub-package cornerback and punt return specialist.
2. Brian Iwuh, DS/OLB, Colorado -- Jacksonville Jaguars
Iwuh isn't an ideal fit at either safety or linebacker, so it's unlikely he ever becomes a fulltime starter in the NFL. However, he has the versatility to line up as a nickel linebacker or situational run-stuffing safety. He also has the athletic ability, burst and tenacity to make an immediate impact on special teams. As a result, it won't be surprising to see Iwuh earn a roster spot for the Jaguars.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Bears to start Cutler at QB against Browns
- Megatron to show Elam 'old man's strength'
- Redskins: RG III still starter entering 2014
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2006 draft coverage
From inside analysis from Scouts Inc. to reports from Len Pasquarelli, John Clayton and Michael Smith, ESPN.com had the draft covered.
• Clayton: Winners and losers
• Pasquarelli: D dominates
• Smith: Thoughts on Round 1
• Inside analysis: 1st | 2nd | 3rd
• Pasquarelli: Character matters
• Green: Money sways Texans
• Clayton: OTs popular on Day 1
• Wojciechowski: Texans did what?
• Scouts: Draft Q&A
• SportsNation: Vote | Grades
• Photo gallery: First-round picks
• Complete 2006 draft coverage
• Pasquarelli: 2006 draft wrap
• Smith: Vick says he's matured
• Inside analysis: 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th
• Clayton: Skier Bloom drafted
• McShay: Players who slipped
• Clayton: Vets sent packing