Best and worst of NFC
Todd McShay takes a look at the best and worst picks by NFC teams and what still must be addressed.
Best pick: Matt Leinart, QB, USC. Leinart's fall quickly became the Cardinals' fortune as the tenth pick. The former Trojans southpaw will get a year to learn behind Kurt Warner before being given the keys to a car that is already fully loaded with running back Edgerrin James and wide receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. Other great values include tight end Leonard Pope (Georgia) in the third round and defensive tackle Gabe Watson (Michigan) in the fourth round.
Worst pick: Deuce Lutui, OG, USC. This is the worst pick of an outstanding draft from top to bottom. Lutui was a good value in the second round but the Cardinals could have addressed another position of need here and got a quality guard later in the draft.
Work to do: One of the Cardinals' top areas of need entering this year's draft was in the defensive secondary, yet they failed to select a cornerback or safety with any of their seven picks. Depth is especially thin at safety behind strong safety Adrian Wilson and aging free safety Robert Griffith.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sherman's two INTs help Seahawks by 49ers
- Niners CEO apologizes: Loss 'not acceptable'
- Eagles blast Cowboys, seize NFC East lead
- Dez awaits rematch vs. 'kinda cheap' Eagles
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2006 draft coverage
From inside analysis from Scouts Inc. to reports from Len Pasquarelli, John Clayton and Michael Smith, ESPN.com had the draft covered.
• Clayton: Winners and losers
• Pasquarelli: D dominates
• Smith: Thoughts on Round 1
• Inside analysis: 1st | 2nd | 3rd
• Pasquarelli: Character matters
• Green: Money sways Texans
• Clayton: OTs popular on Day 1
• Wojciechowski: Texans did what?
• Scouts: Draft Q&A
• SportsNation: Vote | Grades
• Photo gallery: First-round picks
• Complete 2006 draft coverage
• Pasquarelli: 2006 draft wrap
• Smith: Vick says he's matured
• Inside analysis: 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th
• Clayton: Skier Bloom drafted
• McShay: Players who slipped
• Clayton: Vets sent packing