Taylor, Williams inflicting pain
Rodney Harrison and Brian Dawkins are among a group of safeties helping to carry on Ronnie Lott's legacy.
His ability to put his team's well-being above his own made Lott one of the best and most feared defensive backs in the league. He threw his body around with reckless abandon, whether it was trying to bring down an opposing back, or trying to behead a receiver that was bold enough to go over the middle.
It would be unfair to compare any of today's safeties with Lott, but there are those who approach the game in much the same way. These are players defined by their fearlessness, physical style of play and nonstop motors. Here is a list of the top five.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Steve Smith reaches 3-year deal with Ravens
- Colts strike deal with former Giants WR Nicks
- Pats reach deal with suspended CB Browner
- Sources: Spikes has 1-year deal with Bills
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Fathead Troy Polamalu "In Your Face" Wall Graphic