Taylor, Williams inflicting pain
Rodney Harrison and Brian Dawkins are among a group of safeties helping to carry on Ronnie Lott's legacy.
His ability to put his team's well-being above his own made Lott one of the best and most feared defensive backs in the league. He threw his body around with reckless abandon, whether it was trying to bring down an opposing back, or trying to behead a receiver that was bold enough to go over the middle.
It would be unfair to compare any of today's safeties with Lott, but there are those who approach the game in much the same way. These are players defined by their fearlessness, physical style of play and nonstop motors. Here is a list of the top five.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sources: Gordon faults second-hand smoke
- Man faces charges for Modell grave urination
- Giants' Wilson exits practice with neck 'burner'
- GM admits RG III played too early in 2013
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Fathead Jr. Troy Polamalu Wall Graphic