Smith taking demotion in stride
Most fans don't pay much attention to the preseason, but there have been some interesting developments worth watching.
• Playing with consistency can mean the difference between winning and losing. Young players often have a hard time playing at the same level on every snap. Redskins cornerback Carlos Rogers provided an excellent example of this in Washington's 24-17 loss to Cincinnati. While Rogers returned an interception 30 yards, he was beaten deep on consecutive plays later in the first half. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams likes to blitz, so Rogers has to do a better job of preventing the big play when left on an island.
Redskins QB Patrick Ramsey also struggled with his consistency. Ramsey made a gutsy throw over the middle resulting in a 25-yard touchdown pass, but later made a poor decision inside the red zone that resulted in Tory James' picking off a pass.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Union: NFL, Ravens not helping in Rice probe
- Colts WR Wayne won't play vs. Steelers
- Harvin wants to reach 'next level' with Jets
- Saints to be without RBs Thomas, Robinson