Too many headaches to overcome
Former agent Len Elmore discusses why he got into the business and why he left it.
- In 1992, I founded Precept Sports & Entertainment, Inc. Setting up a sports agency was easy. The hard part was keeping it going ethically while others were content to backbite and conspire to win.
My getting out of the business is a long story, but simple. Competition became more intense and started to engage in things I didn't feel were ethical. I wasn't going to stoop to conquer, so I left the business. But let's start at the beginning.
I was drawn into the business for two main reasons. One, I'd heard a lot of horror stories about players who had been defrauded out of their money. In those stories, I never heard of a player's representative intervening and stopping him from being taken advantage of or accepting responsibility for hooking him up with the guilty financial advisor.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Source: Saints to cut veteran receiver Moore
- Report: Suh picks Sexton as his new agent
- Jaguars, QB Henne agree to 2-year contract
- Spikes: 'Fresh start' best for both me, Patriots
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Evolution of sports agents
Sports agents have gradually emerged from being background figures to prominent characters. This week, ESPN.com will take a look at the impact of agents on the sports world.
Monday: Starting out
• Forde: Colleges keep eyes on runner, agents
• Grant: Representing low-profile athletes
• Rovell: Online courses in becoming an agent
• Mueller: Dealing with the agents
Tuesday: The Powerbrokers
• Garber: Rosenhaus becomes top draw
• Garber: Rosenhaus' top deals
• Pasquarelli: Former agents move to the front office
• Wojnarowski: Taliaferro still in the game
• Flash: Men behind the madness
• Chat wrap: Rosenhaus
• Motion: Rosenhaus talks
Wednesday: License to deal
• Crasnick: Excerpt of book "License to Deal: A Year in the Life of a Maverick Baseball Agent"
• Allen: Process of picking an agent
• Chat wrap: ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick
• Chat wrap: Agent Matt Sosnick
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- NFL Nation
- Free-Agent Tracker