Five to watch from Big Ten teams
Illinois Fighting Illini
1. Tim Brasic, QB, jr. -- Had a very good spring in Ron Zook's system, where he had four or five wideouts and also ran some option. Is a good running quarterback and will also direct some no-huddle this season.
2. Derrick McPhearson, WR, fr. -- Signed with Florida a year ago before attending prep school, and the coaches think he can be a spectacular player this season.
3. Melvin Bryant, TE, jr. -- A good pass-catching tight end who had an excellent spring, he could as much as triple his 11 catches from last season.
4. Steve Weatherford, P, sr. -- Can boom the Illini out of trouble with his tremendous leg, and he has decathlon-type athleticism to boot. Averaged 45.5 yards last year.
5. Morris Virgil, FS, sr. -- A former running back entering his second year in the defensive backfield, Virgil is a physical player and the best athlete on the team.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Auburn to bench QB Marshall to start Week 1
- FSU starts No. 1 in preseason coaches' poll
- Alabama suspends 3 for violation of rules
- Report: Nike asked about Fisher's son's shirt