Team Preview: San Jose State
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
Retirement didn't suit Dick Tomey all that well.
After resigning from the Arizona football program in 2000, Tomey wandered aimlessly through the countryside trying to find his way back home. Well, not exactly aimlessly. He spent a couple of years as a color analyst for University of Hawaii football games, another season as an assistant for the San Francisco 49ers, and still another as Mack Brown's right-hand man at the University of Texas.
Athletic director Tom Bowen could barely contain his excitement when announcing his choice.
"Dick Tomey was described as a person with boundless positive energy, possessing an engaging leadership style and demonstrating a genuine love for his student-athletes," Bowen said. "He's been associated with some of the most important names in college football for the last 40 years and has parlayed all his relationships into one of the game's most successful coaching careers."
Some might wonder if that's about to come to an end.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider