Team preview: Louisiana Tech
An off-season packed with coaching departures could be a sign of the pressure Jack Bicknell faces this season.
If he doesn't win, he could be out of a job.
He enters the 2005 season with a more favorable schedule than usual, solid footing as the No. 3 team in the WAC and four new assistant coaches.
He has changed defensive coordinators twice since last season -- losing Tim Rose to Toledo and replacement John Lovett to Bowling Green after spring ball.
Randy Bates, who has coached the secondary, cornerbacks and linebackers the last five seasons and was the co-defensive coordinator in 2003, takes over the defense.
"He is a guy who knows this program as well as anyone and who I've been through a lot of battles with on the field," Bicknell said. "He is a very good coach. I think this will work out for the best."
Bicknell actually lost two coaches after spring ball.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA settles concussion suit with $70M fund
- OU RB meets with police over alleged assault
- OK State has APR penalty rescinded by NCAA
- Kentucky great 'Wah Wah' Jones dies at 88
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New World Graphics Men's Louisiana Tech Bulldogs 2014 Football Schedule Blue T-Shirt