Team preview: USC
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
You can spend the next 10 minutes or the next month reading preseason previews about USC and while the knowledge gained might impress friends come September or lead to an early divorce, it basically comes down to one question.
Most believe that answer is a resounding no. There hasn't been a preseason college football poll publicized outside of Austin, Texas that doesn't have USC No. 1. Even if the Trojans lose a game, it'll most likely be considered a fluke and voters could easily have USC playing in the Rose Bowl, home of the national championship game, while an undefeated team plays elsewhere. And the Trojans are so ridiculously loaded that few will disagree with the realities of the system.
"It's an exciting challenge to be the returning national champion and we look forward to dealing with everything that goes with that," USC head coach Pete Carroll said. "We'll handle it well. Our approach will be the same as it always is. Our goal always is to win the Pac-10 and to win the Rose Bowl."
There is a very good chance the first two picks of the 2006 NFL draft will be senior quarterback Matt Leinart and junior tailback Reggie Bush. And not necessarily in that order, either. Sure, Leinart would have easily been the top pick this year. It would have taken San Francisco about 1.3 seconds to blurt his name out.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's USC Trojans #9 Cardinal Football Game Jersey
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider